Internationalization problem under Linux

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
marcino

Internationalization problem under Linux

Post by marcino »

Hello,
My system is SuSE8.2 runnung KDE, with character encoding ISO-8859-2.
When I open an XML document, in UTF-8, that contains Polish national characters, all of them are displayed correctly.
But when I want to type such a character, I got an empty rectangle instead. (with Polish programmer kb layout, they are accessible via right Alt + one of: acelnoszx)
Other KDE apps (KWrite, etc.) works fine.
What should I set up to obtain Polish national characters while typing?
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hello,

I have tested the polish characters on the following systems:

1. Win2000. After setting the input on Polish programmer keyboard, all characters where generated correctly.
2. Linux Mandrake 9. I have changed the keyboard settings from Control Center/Peripherals/Keyboard to Polish, with the variants: basic, Sundeadkeys, sundeadkeys, nodeadkeys, with no effect in the java applications. All other KDE applications worked perfectly.

After changing the keyboard layout to Romanian, variant comma, the romanian characters could be used (except a single one) even in Java applications.

I think this is a problem of the Java input mapping on Linux. Unfortunately, I cannot see any solution for the moment, except trying to change the keyboard variant to all possibilities your system offers.