Make Oxygen webhelp load faster

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
tomjohnson1492

Make Oxygen webhelp load faster

Post by tomjohnson1492 »

Although the webhelp files are simple static files, they sometimes take a while to load in the browser. For example, go to http://tools.pingdom.com/ and load this file: http://idratherbewriting.com/ditaqrg/.

Here's a report of the loading time by resource: http://www.screencast.com/t/0DubzMjFAjd2.

It takes about 2.5 seconds to load. For topics that have screenshots, the loading time is longer.

Static files should load within 1 second, especially if they're just text. Oxygen has a ton of js scripts that are taking a long time to load.

Load time issues are even more apparent when I load actual files I produce at work from other servers (I just can't post them here), but load times are around 3 - 4 seconds.

This is becoming an issue. What JavaScript files can I get rid of here to improve the loading speed? I already minified everything. It would be great to see a list of css and js files, what they do, and how to disable them.

For example, index-1.js, index-2.js, index-3.js -- what are these doing? Do I need them? What is htmlFileList.js doing? Need it? localization.js -- am not localizing anything at the moment. jquery.ba-hashchange.min.js?

Any other tips for making Oxygen load more quickly?
sorin_ristache

Re: Make Oxygen webhelp load faster

Post by sorin_ristache »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:Static files should load within 1 second, especially if they're just text. Oxygen has a ton of js scripts that are taking a long time to load.

. . .

This is becoming an issue. What JavaScript files can I get rid of here to improve the loading speed? I already minified everything.
We are working on the load time of the WebHelp pages. In the next version of Oxygen the load time will be improved in a very visible way for the user that loads a WebHelp page in a browser.
tomjohnson1492 wrote:For example, index-1.js, index-2.js, index-3.js -- what are these doing? Do I need them? What is htmlFileList.js doing? Need it?
If you don't use the Search tab in the WebHelp pages you can remove them.
tomjohnson1492 wrote:localization.js -- am not localizing anything at the moment. jquery.ba-hashchange.min.js?
These two files are required, are very small (1 KB and 2 KB) and their file length is constant with any WebHelp pages.
Regards,
Sorin

<oXygen/> XML Editor Support
tomjohnson1492

Post by tomjohnson1492 »

It's great to hear that you're working on improving the loading speed in the next version. I'm looking forward to it. Is that in v 17 or a dot release in v16?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

It is version 17.0. We hope to have the speed improvements ready until the release of version 17.0 next year.
Regards,
Sorin

tomjohnson1492

Post by tomjohnson1492 »

The speed issue is killing me. Sometimes it takes 3 seconds for a basic page to load. Given that there's no database query here, I can't imagine where the latency is. This issue a huge priority for me to get fixed. Thanks.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Do you mean it takes 3 seconds just to load a short WebHelp page in the browser? Did you check the speed of your Internet connection?

Is the page short but is part of a large set of WebHelp pages, which means you have a large total number of topics in the Content tree in the left-side panel of the WebHelp page?

These are possible causes of such a long delay. If they do not apply to you maybe you can send a set of sample files for reproducing the problem: a small sample DITA map and all DITA XML topics included in the map, together with the WebHelp pages generated by the DITA WebHelp transform?
Regards,
Sorin