How to incorporate Disqus?

Oxygen general issues.
tomjohnson1492

How to incorporate Disqus?

Post by tomjohnson1492 »

Is it possible to incorporate Disqus into OxygenXML's output? This is a comment form system that allows users to log in using their social media profile.

I tried incorporating it in the footer, but the frames nature of OxygenXML's webhelp made it so Disqus didn't display.
sorin_ristache

Re: How to incorporate Disqus?

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I am not sure what code you need to add to each WebHelp page for linking to a user's Disqus account but I can tell you how you can integrate Google Analytics code in a WebHelp page:
  • Get the custom JavaScript code that must be added to every WebHelp page, by going to Admin > Tracking Info > Tracking Code. The custom code will be in in a form embeddable in an XHTML page.
  • Save the custom code in an XHTML file on the local computer.
  • Set the path to this XHTML file in the parameter called webhelp.footer.file of the Oxygen WebHelp transformation.
  • Run the WebHelp transformation. The result will be the custom JavaScript code added to every WebHelp page.
Maybe a similar procedure works also for integrating Disqus in WebHelp pages?
tomjohnson1492 wrote:I tried incorporating it in the footer, but the frames nature of OxygenXML's webhelp made it so Disqus didn't display.
What code did you try to add in the WebHelp pages and how? Is that code incompatible with XHTML internal frames (idiv elements)?

Did you try also the frameset version of the WebHelp pages, which are available in the index_frames.html output file?
Regards,
Sorin

<oXygen/> XML Editor Support
tomjohnson1492

Post by tomjohnson1492 »

Thanks. I did try incorporating the code into the footer file using the technique you mentioned. However, the disqus commenting form gets hidden. I can try it again, but I don't think it really integrates well.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

If you want to enhance a WebHelp page with the capability to host a discussion between the readers/users of that WebHelp page you could use the WebHelp-Feedback transformation in Oxygen to add a user comment management system to each WebHelp page. This feedback system allows adding user comments to each WebHelp page and also managing the readers/users and their comments. It comes already integrated with the Oxygen WebHelp transformation, so you can replace a Disqus discussion with that.
Regards,
Sorin

<oXygen/> XML Editor Support