XEP fails, but only in Oxygen

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
martindholmes

XEP fails, but only in Oxygen

Post by martindholmes »

I have an installation of Oxygen which has been working fine for a couple of years, currently at 15.2. I use XEP a lot. Recently I updated the OS (from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, both 64-bit), which may or may not be the cause of the problem, which is this:

When I run a transformation scenario which does XML-XSLT-XSLFO-PDF using XEP, I get this error:

invalid file (bad magic number): Exec format error

However, when I run the same process on the command line, starting with the FO file, it works fine. The XEP license file and xep.xml file are in place, and haven't been changed. Even if I run the process pointing explicitly at the /bin/java in the Oxygen JRE folder, it still works fine, so it's not a problem with Oxygen's Java being different from my system default (which is OpenJDK-7, as it has been for a long time).

Has anyone seen this rather odd error before? Googling doesn't suggest anything recent or helpful.

Cheers,
Martin
adrian

Re: XEP fails, but only in Oxygen

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Please provide the entire output log from the XEP view located in the results panel at the bottom of the Oxygen window.
If you want to keep the log private, you can send it to support AT oxygenxml DOT com.

What version of XEP are you using?
I've tested with XEP 4.22 in Ubuntu 12 (installed in /home/user/XEP) and it worked fine for me.
I configured XEP in Oxygen in Options > Preferences, XML / XSLT-FO-XQuery / FO Processors. I used the corresponding Browse button for XEP and picked the 'xep' startup script. The resulting command line from the configured XEP processor was:

Code: Select all

/home/user/XEP/xep -fo ${fo} -${method} ${out}
Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
martindholmes

Post by martindholmes »

This is the log:

Started: /media/Data/mholmes/apps/RenderX/XEP/lib/xep.jar -fo /media/Data/mholmes/Documents/english/scancan2/svnrepo/xml/master_vol_21.xml_xslt -pdf /media/Data/mholmes/Documents/english/scancan2/pdf/master_vol_21.pdf
invalid file (bad magic number): Exec format error
Process ended with exit code: 1
martindholmes

Post by martindholmes »

It's XEP 4.5.
martindholmes

Post by martindholmes »

Figured it out:

In the process of updating Ubuntu, a bunch of apps got removed because of repo problems. I reinstalled all the ones I noticed, but it looks like the "xep" script file that runs the app was deleted. That would have presented Oxygen with a problem, presumably, and it seems to have responded by setting the XEP config to this:

/media/Data/mholmes/apps/RenderX/XEP/lib/xep.jar -fo ${fo} -${method} ${out}

In other words, it was pointing directly at the jar file, not at the now-missing script. I've restored the xep startup file from a backup, and pointed Oxygen at it, and now everything works.

The XEP error message didn't help much here!

Thanks,
Martin