Encoding of "oelig"

Oxygen general issues.
jpmoularde

Encoding of "oelig"

Post by jpmoularde »

Hello!

I discovered that the "oelig" character "œ" has two definitions in the character map (and same for upper case):

Their shapes are slightly different, but it's not easy to recognize them at first glance.
The obvious reason for that situation is that they were included in the "Western European Character Set" before UTF-8 became the standard.
The same thing exists for other characters, e.g. "Š", "Ÿ" and probably some other ones I didn't notice.
Is there (or could there be) a way to warn users and prevent them for confusing these characters?
Radu

Re: Encoding of "oelig"

Post by Radu »

Hi Jean Pierre,

Oxygen does not have a setting to warn users when certain character codes are used instead of others.
Do you have a custom document type configuration? What type of XML vocabulary are you editing? One of the predefined ones like DITA, Docbook, etc or a custom vocabulary?
Maybe you could create a Schematron schema which prohibits certain characters not to be used in the XML.
Or if only certain characters are used (and they are not very many) you could define custom code templates for inserting them and prohibit users to use the Character Map.
You can also create custom actions if users are working in the Author visual editing mode for inserting certain characters and add the actions to a drop-down button on the toolbar.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
jpmoularde

Re: Encoding of "oelig"

Post by jpmoularde »

Thanks Radu for your answer.

In fact I'm personally not interested any more in being "warned", as this has already been the case by the confusion I got into when I inserted a character that was not recognized whereas it was recognized in another file.
I now know why, and I will certainly not forget it, at least for some years to come!
I hope that other people will at least be able to avoid the same trouble if they search the forum and find this post.