Glossary term referenced with <abbreviated-form> not appearing in PDF

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
rtimkovi

Glossary term referenced with <abbreviated-form> not appearing in PDF

Post by rtimkovi »

I'm trying to reference glossary terms in a topic using <abbreviated-form>. I get the expected result in HTML when publishing to "DITA Map WebHelp Responsive" (text, a hyperlink, and hover text) but I get nothing in the PDF file when publishing to "DITA Map PDF - based on HTML5 & CSS". Is there something basic I am missing here? Thanks! Rick

the map:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE map PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Map//EN" "map.dtd">
<map>
<title>Test 2</title>
<topicref href="referringtopic.dita" keys="a_topic"/>
<topicref href="glossary.dita" keys="glossary">
<topicref href="sn-cfn.dita" keys="sn-cfn"/>
<topicref href="sn-iam.dita" keys="sn-iam"/>
</topicref>
</map>
referringtopic.dita:

<!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Topic//EN" "topic.dtd">
<topic xml:lang="en-us" id="referring-topic">
<title>Referring Topic</title>
<body><p>AWS guidance to achieve governance at scale automates the application of company
policies, deploying accounts with standard specifications to ensure consistency
across AWS accounts and resources. The policy engine is flexible to accommodate and
enforce different types of security polices such as <abbreviated-form
keyref="sn-iam"/>, <abbreviated-form keyref="sn-cfn"/>, or custom scripts.</p>
</body>
</topic>
glossary.dita:

<!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Topic//EN" "topic.dtd">
<topic xml:lang="en-us" id="glossary">
<title>Glossary</title>
<body/>
</topic>
sn-cfn.dita:

<!DOCTYPE glossentry PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Glossary//EN" "glossary.dtd">
<glossentry id="sn-cfn">
<glossterm>AWS CloudFormation</glossterm>
<glossdef>
<p>AWS CloudFormation is a service that helps you model and set up your AWS resources so
that you can spend less time managing those resources and more time focusing on your
applications that run in AWS.</p>
</glossdef>
</glossentry>
sn-iam.dita:

<!DOCTYPE glossentry PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Glossary//EN" "glossary.dtd">
<glossentry id="sn-iam">
<glossterm>AWS Identity and Access Management</glossterm>
<glossdef>
<p>AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) is a web service that helps you securely control
access to AWS resources. You use IAM to control who is authenticated (signed in) and
authorized (has permissions) to use resources. </p>
</glossdef>
<glossBody>
<glossSurfaceForm>AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM)</glossSurfaceForm>
<glossAlt>
<glossAcronym>IAM</glossAcronym>
</glossAlt>
</glossBody>
</glossentry>
Dan

Re: Glossary term referenced with <abbreviated-form> not appearing in PDF

Post by Dan »

Hello Rick,

This is a known issue that we already solved on the development branch. If you want to beta-test it, we have a nightly build that packages a DITA-OT with our publishing plugins available here:

https://mirror.oxygenxml.com/maven-nigh ... e-full.zip

To use it from oXygen:
1. Extract the contents of the zip file, it will result in a folder named "oxygen-publishing-engine-2.x"
2. From the oXygen Options/Preferences/DITA/ DITA Open Toolkit/Custom option, select the above folder.
3. Make the transformation, using the scenario you already configured.

Let us know if it worked,

Many regards,
Dan

PS: The fixes will be included in oXygen 21, this will be available at the end of February.
rtimkovi

Post by rtimkovi »

Thanks for the quick response, Dan! The nightly build did resolve this issue plus another one that I hadn't reported to you yet.

However, it seems to have introduced a problem in the "DITA Map WebHelp Responsive" transform. What would be the appropriate way to report that?

Rick
Dan

Post by Dan »

Please open a new post for the WebHelp problems.
Thank you,
Dan
jcollins

Post by jcollins »

The plugins in the "oxygen-publishing-engine-2.x" files fix the issue with the <abbreviated-form> content appearing in the PDF output, but it completely hoarks all the formatting in the PDF, including all links in the PDF, when using the HTML-CSS pdf transform. Any ideas on how to fix that and still use this plugin?
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hello,

In case you previously used a customization CSS of your own, either passed directly as the value for the "args.css" transformation scenario parameter, or through a publishing template, make sure that you are also using it now in your transformation.

Or maybe you were previously using a modified DITA OT? Note that the publishing engine uses its own custom DITA OT.

As we are not aware of such issues, can you please provide an example?
You could provide feedback (detailed description of the issue, screenshots depicting the content before and after using the publishing engine, sample files that reproduce the issue, etc.) on our official support email: support@oxygenxml.com

Last but not least, note that since the last post, a newer nightly build of the publishing engine is available, so you should try downloading and using the newer one, from the same link Dan provided in the above post and see if it makes any difference. Just deploy the publishing engine in a separate folder and make sure you use this newer one, setting the right path to it in the Options/Preferences/DITA/ DITA Open Toolkit/Custom option in oXygen.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
rtimkovi

Post by rtimkovi »

I added the "DITA OT 3.x publishing engine" version 1.1.0 plugin to my Oxygen environment and it exhibits the same problem initially reported here with the built-in DITA OT 2.x (i.e. the glossary terms don't show up in the PDF.) Is there a "nightly development build" option for the DITA OT 3.x engine I can try? Thanks!

Rick
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Rick,

The ""DITA OT 3.x publishing engine"" add-on was released along with Oxygen 20.1 so it has the same bugs related as the DITA OT 2.x bundled with Oxygen 20.1.
If you contact us via email (support@oxygenxml.com) maybe we can give you early access to the DITA OT 3.x which will be bundled with Oxygen 21.
Oxygen 21 will probably be released in February 2019.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com