Extreme newbie questions on transformer

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
LJG

Extreme newbie questions on transformer

Post by LJG »

Can the choice of transformer influence whether oXygen thinks there are errors in an XSL file?

I'm just confused on this because I have an XSL file that transforms an XML file on our linux system using xalan. When I open those files in oXygen, however, over 20 lines in the XSL file are flagged with errors.

Is it more likely that I am looking at the wrong XSL file?
I extracted it from the jar file provided by the software vendor...

Thank for any insight you can provide.
adrian

Re: Extreme newbie questions on transformer

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Yes, in a manner of speaking. For XSLT Oxygen uses the transformer from the associated transformation scenario as the default engine for validation. And since various engines have different validation rules, some can report errors while others do not.

If your stylesheet is associated with a transformation scenario that uses Xalan, it will be validated with Xalan.

On the other hand, if no transformation scenario is associated then Oxygen uses the default engines for XSLT validation:
- for XSLT 1.0 Saxon6.5.5
- for XSLT 2.0 Saxon-PE 9.x

If you want to consistently validate the stylesheet with a specific engine(other than the one from the associated transformation scenario) you can also create and associate a validation scenario(Document -> Validate-> Configure Validation Scenario, Use custom validation scenario, New). Add a new validation unit and simply choose the Processor from the combo list.

Note that the <Default engine> is the engine determined from the associated transformation scenario(if one exists) or one of the default engines mentioned above depending on the XSLT version.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com