Re: [xsl] xslt 1.0 duplicates refresher

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt 1.0 duplicates refresher
From: "David Carlisle d.p.carlisle@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 12:10:25 -0000

On 12 November 2015 at 12:03, Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx <

> If a nodeset contains multiple elements with the same value then unioning
> the nodeset with itself will not eradicate those duplicates.

The value (as in <xsl:value-of) of the node is not related to the union
which is just about node identity.
A union of a nodeset with itself is always the same as the original set.

> If I have a nodeset containing
> <a>1</a>
> <a>2</a>
> which I use as a lookup, then a nodeset created just by looking up the
> value 1, 5 times will not contain <a>1</a> once and not 5 times.
That is completely unclear:-) XSLT1 can't create new node sets only select
sets of nodes from the source
so if you are selecting from two nodes, the resulting nodeset will have 0,1
or 2 nodes depending which of those nodes are selected.