[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date]

Re: [xsl] Using doc( ) to get a second input file

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using doc( ) to get a second input file
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 20:33:56 -0000

On 14 Apr 2015, at 21:15, Craig Sampson craig.sampson@xxxxxxx
<xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>   I am trying to use the doc( ) function, in XSLT 2.0, to get a second input
file in one of my transforms. The primary input contains an element
refActionSet that triggers the logic to fetch the second input.
>   Within that template I do:
>         <xsl:variable name="myActionSet"
>   Which is successfully getting the second file. I know this because I can
write out to the log the contents of the file and I see the text (no markup).
>   But when I try to process this second file using:
>         <xsl:apply-templates select="$myActionSet"/>
>   My transform fails due to the root element template being executed a
second time. In the root template I setup some java extension processes that
can only be run once so the second time through they cause the transform to

The usual way to solve this problem is with modes. Use

>  <xsl:apply-templates select="$myActionSet" mode="actionSet"/>

and add mode="actionSet" to the template rules for the second input file.

>   Ive tried to solve the problem two different ways, but neither works.
First I tried adding a xpath specification to the doc function so that the
returned XML would start at the element I was interested in, like so:
>         <xsl:variable name="myActionSet"
> but that caused the function to fail and not fetch the second file.

I think it did fetch the second file. But the path expression //actionSet
didn't select anything, because the actionSet elements are in a namespace, and
you didn't tell it to use a namespace.

> I also tried a fragment specification #actionSet but this also failed.
>   I then tried to kick the second input files root element out of my root
template with a test for ancestor-or-self::casActions and a test for
descendant-or-self::casActions. But neither of these tests worked on the
fetched second file.

Again, that's because you overlooked the namespace declaration.
>   Any help would be appreciated in solving this problem.
Note the namespace:

Michael Kay
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <casActions version="1.0" xml:lang="en"
xmlns="http://www.sas.com/xml/namespace/sas_doc_cas_actions-1.0" date="Tue Apr
14 07:31:01 2015" branch="v9cas">
>    <actionSet id="cas.tkds1" date="Mon Apr 13 22:18:33 2015" name="tkds1"
dvdname="cas" scriptname="tkds1" prmname="tkds1">
>       <label id="cas.tkds1.__label" key="TKDS1_LABEL_LIBRARY" dvd="cas"
msgfile="tkmds1">DATA Step</label>
>       <action id="cas.tkds1.execPgm" name="execPgm" entry="execpgm">
>          <label id="cas.tkds1.execPgm.__label" key="TKDS1_LABEL_EXECPGM"
dvd="cas" msgfile="tkmds1">Execute DATA Step</label>
> Thanks for the help,
>   Craig
> BTW I follow this list in the daily digest so I wont see any responses till
tomorrow unless you copy me in your response to the list.
> My email is: craig.sampson@xxxxxxx
> XSL-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

Current Thread