[xsl] What is actually a "fragment" ?

Subject: [xsl] What is actually a "fragment" ?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 12:03:04 -0700

 According to the XDM (both 2.0 and 3.0),

"[Definition: A tree whose root node is not a Document Node is
referred to as a fragment.]"

So a fragment is a tree.

However, I have been taught (by the books of Dr. Michael Kay) that an
fragment is a node-set, that by itself may not be a well-formed
document, but wrapping this node-set in a  single element parent will
make this a well-formed document.

There is an obvious contradiction in these two definitions -- in the
former a fragment must be a tree (have a root node), while in the
latter this isn't required.

So, which of the two definitions of a "fragment" should we use, and
how to make sure people understand which of the two definitions we are

Dimitre Novatchev
Never fight an inanimate object
biggest mistake of all
you're doing is work or play