Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach
From: David Rudel <fwqhgads@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 22:31:46 +0100

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Brian Chrisman <brchrisman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay... is it me, or is this one of those exceedingly rare cases where
> you actually want the 'A!=B' test instead of 'not(A=B)'?
> ie, test="*[1]/@audience!=*/@audience" would tell us when something in
> this case is 'not' to be promoted?
> - Brian

Oops... I just realized that, from a performance standpoint, your
solution is likely to be faster because when checking $seq1 != $seq2,
the processor is likely to stop after it finds the first
non-homogeneous term. It may do the same when checking
count(distinct-values(@audience))=1 as well, but perhaps less likely.

More importantly, I wanted to introduce you to the distinct-values()
function in case you were unaware of its application in this context.

"A false conclusion, once arrived at and widely accepted is not
dislodged easily, and the less it is understood, the more tenaciously
it is held." - Cantor's Law of Preservation of Ignorance.