Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:52:59 +0000

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 06:24:06PM +0100, David Rudel scripsit:
>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:15 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Ideas welcome.
>> Would it make sense to start with considering what prevents people
>> from using XSLT for projects that yearn for it? I have a very limited
>> view on what this is, but from what I can tell, there are basically 3
>> things:
> [snip David Rudel's experiences for brevity, I'm by no means disagreeing
> with them!]
> What prevents people from using Lisp?

another community which routinely experiences doomed calls for syntax

> XML doesn't work like anything else; XML is graph theory, XSLT is an
> imperative tree-transformation language specifically for XML, and
> nothing else works that way.  People with solid coding skills from other
> domains try to use XSLT and wind up in the special hell that is trying
> to make XSLT do anything imperative.  It builds up a reservoir of
> loathing.

and thats why I wouldn't bother reaching out to them.

> Since the analysts and the project-managers don't like it either -- XML
> data is mostly illegible to them (doesn't go into Excel, you can't query
> it[1], etc.) -- this makes advocating for XSLT difficult.

and thats why I wouldn't bother talking to them.

>  Why should we
> go with rare (and more expensive) skills when we can find a way to do
> this with SQL?

That one I can answer. There are companies who strategy is to develop
in things like Haskell as guarantees getting some unbelievably smart

X-Fu people are are smarter than your average bear, so you minimize
the risk of hiring a dufus which is far more costly. Also if your
project expands to encompass Semantic Web, how smart is the SQL hire
looking now.

Raise the spectre of the lossy round-trip from richer data formts to
SQL and back and ask why not avoid the problem altogether.

> I've never got anybody to believe XSLT was easy; I have got people to
> believe it was powerful, and I suspect the best way to evangelize for
> XSLT is along that axis. "Here are things we can do reliably that are
> much harder any other way".

sell that to problem owner and not the IT people who are geared up to
solve every problem only with tools they know how to use.