Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World
From: David Rudel <fwqhgads@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:29:20 +0100

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> but Graydon ...the problem here is "hello world"....
> Here's Alan Kay http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alan_Kay
> Somewhere on that page is the quotation
> "Simple things should be simple complex things should be possible"

Piecing together a few different things you have said in different
threads and in different posts, I realize what you mean is "We are
talking about extracting test from a node, which should be as simple
as 'Hello World' for XSLT."

If that is true, then I would say once again that it is simple in XSLT:

<xsl:value-of select="(path to node)"/>

Again, none of these dialogues arising from "text()" have anything to
do with simple things being complex. They have to do with a frequently
misused construct in the language.

Here "misused" doesn't mean "will give the wrong answer most of the
time."  Here "misused" means "should be avoided because
A. There is a better way to do it.
B. Occasionally in some contexts and with some inputs, it will give
unexpected/undesirable results."

Using that understanding of "misused," I would say all modern
languages have frequently misused constructions.

"A false conclusion, once arrived at and widely accepted is not
dislodged easily, and the less it is understood, the more tenaciously
it is held." - Cantor's Law of Preservation of Ignorance.