Re: [xsl] Managing debug logging in complex transforms: what do people do?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Managing debug logging in complex transforms: what do people do?
From: George Cristian Bina <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:43:35 +0200

Hi Alex,

On 3/25/14, 11:45 AM, Alex Muir wrote:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Alex Muir <alex.g.muir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wonder without really thinking much into it if the controls and or
logic for debugging are borrowed from procedural languages and could
perhaps be quite different for xslt? ( no idea but what do you think?)

The XSLT debugger contains also XSLT specific views, like the node set view, the XSLT context view, the templates view, etc.

Okay I thought about it a bit more,,

You have step into, step over, step out, run, run to cursor, run to end

It's not clear what the difference is between run and run to the end
really. I usually use run to cursor or run to end.

Run to end will ignore breakpoints and will run until the transformation ends, so you can quickly get the result of the transformation without stopping to any breakpoint.
Run, continues the execution until the next breakpoint or until the end of the transformation.

Why not some others or some different lingo:
   - Move to next Template/Function

That is an interesting addition to the already provided options.

- Move to next test="" is true

We provide conditional breakpoints, so you can run until a specific condition becomes true.

- Move to next outputted content
This is also an interesting addition. Maybe we can group these "Run to..." actions in a drop down and offer more options there.

We discussed internally the other days also an interesting mapping, from the XSLT source to the result. For example, if you are in a value-of instruction you should be able to see highlighted in the result all the output generated by that value-of instruction. This coupled with an automatic execution of the transformation will allow seeing the output interactively highlighted as you change the stylesheet.

This is complementary to the mapping from the result to the XML and XSLT source, this will show the reverse, mapping from the XSLT to the result. The same can be imagined for a mapping from XML to the result, highlight what parts of the result are generated when the context node is the element at the caret position in the XML source.

Best Regards,
George
--
George Cristian Bina