Re: [xsl] Verifying large XSL transform output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Verifying large XSL transform output
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:26:23 -0000 (GMT)

On Tue, February 11, 2014 4:31 pm, Matthew Stoeffler wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2014, at 11:15 AM, Graydon wrote:
> Are you trying to tell if the transformation worked to the specification
> (as distinct from producing valid output!), or if you didn't lose any
> text content?
> The issue here is being certain I have all the source content, or at least
> all the source content I require.

For a large conversion project where some clients of the business have a
long lead time for any changes in the format of XML they receive, we
round-trip from the new format to the old for delivery to those clients
and also use the round-tripped XML in development for checking that we
hadn't missed anything in the conversion.

We couldn't quite put Humpty-Dumpty together again in the round-tripping,
so we normalise away the ignorable differences before doing the
comparison, which boils down to deep-equal() plus counting comments.

That approach may not be as much use if you're producing an archive format
and aren't going back in the other direction, of course.

Tony Graham                                         tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                       http://www.mentea.net
Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C    XML Guild member
Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming