Re: [xsl] Thanks for

Subject: Re: [xsl] Thanks for <xsl:iterate>
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:58:59 +0000

On behalf of the WG, thank you for saying thank you.

All feedback is very welcome!

Michael Kay
for the XSL WG.

On 28 Jan 2014, at 22:18, David Sewell <dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just wanted to say "thank you" to the XSLT Working Group and implementors
for the functionality of <xsl:iterate> in 3.0, which I've just found my first
use case for (I'm sure it won't be the last). I had transformed a large corpus
of text documents (all children of single XML document instance) to another
syntax, using position() to assign ID numbers to the output format. During a
correction cycle, some of the original text documents were deleted. That meant
that IDs generated using position() would be out of synch with the prior
output.

> Solution, adding processing instructions to mark deletions, and use those to
increment a counter via <xsl:next-iteration> to add to the value of
position(). Very simple + logical. (And not evil, as saxon:assign() would have
been in the old days.)