[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date]

Re: [xsl] Are there any free, fully-compliant XSLT/XPath 3.0 processors?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Are there any free, fully-compliant XSLT/XPath 3.0 processors?
From: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:51:38 +0100

Please take the XSLT 2013 survey



On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx>
> I guess I'd qualify as a "once or twice a year" user of XSLT/XPath,
> but I do follow this list while trying to filter out the "interesting"
> posts, just to keep an ear on the "Xground".
> As it stands, I don't think X* 3.0 will be overly attractive, although
> usage of XML technologies will keep increasing in my organisation. Not
> being able to play with any of the innovative features is certainly
> one of the reasons.
> Not addressing any SW provider in particular: -
> There are models where SW isn't OS, but you (or someone) can
> still investigate it. Getting a limited (by time or functionality or
> version is one way. (Any company with a reasonable ethics standard
> will not abuse such an opportunity.) Some give free (or almost free)
> licenses to
> educational units, where students get it to know and might carry the
> torch into the business world. I don't know how valuable the feedback
> (bugs, feature requests,...) from non-paying users is, but this could
> be an additional benefit.
> -W
> On 28/01/2013, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I'm attempting to get some numbers Liam?
>>> I don't know of any survey that includes those who didn't vote?
>> Any half-respectable piece of market research will try very hard to
>> avoid the bias you get when you use a self-selected sample of voters.
>> Frankly, the data you will get by putting a questionnaire on the web and
>> announcing it to people who follow XML-related mailing lists is worse
>> than useless. Reaching the kind of people who wrote a couple of
>> stylesheets a year or two ago, run them once a month and upgrade them
>> once a year is virtually impossible, and those people are probably the
>> large majority of our users.
>> Saxon for 12 years or so has been getting 300 (B1) downloads a day, and
>> we have never had the faintest idea who is doing the downloading or what
>> they use the software for once they get it (if anything). Nor do we know
>> how many people acquire it by routes other than a SourceForge download
>> (e.g., packaged with other software). We can all speculate, but we will
>> never get more than 1% of these users to tell us, and the data from
>> those 1% tells us nothing about the other 99%.
>> Michael Kay
>> Saxonica

Current Thread