[xsl] XML/XSL Revision Control/ Source Code Versioning: Ideas, Methods, Tools for Specific scenario as a Content Writer?

Subject: [xsl] XML/XSL Revision Control/ Source Code Versioning: Ideas, Methods, Tools for Specific scenario as a Content Writer?
From: "AS" <as.signup@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 15:54:14 +0530

XML/XSL Revision Control/ Source Code Versioning: Ideas, Methods, Tools for Specific scenario as a Content Writer?

For many years, I've been using XML/ XSL/ XSD based mechanisms to separate:

Input:
- XML - Content/ Data
- XSL - Styling & Data Transformations/ Translations
- XSD - Schemas / Data Models

Output:
- XML (Different Schema)
- XSL:FO (for PDF), Word ML (for DOC/DOCX), XHTML - Viewable Documents (XML + Styling)

BACKGROUND:

- I've done some extensive hands-on XML/ XSD modeling & Enterprise XSLT framework development in the past.
- I do not write much code anymore due to larger responsibilities as an Architect. But, I like to play with the tech & models so that I can better lead the development teams.
- So I mostly do it for some Personal & Proof of Concept ideas & projects to test thoughts & possibilities on some Directories/ Folders on my laptop Hard Drive.

DETAILS:

Now over time, over various projects they all go through varying degrees of change
- XML Content - Huge Degree
- XSL - Medium Degree
- XSD - Lesser Degree

I'd like to do Source Code Versioning/ Revision Control for them and wondering what you guys do for the same?
- The XML Content Data changes the most and I'd like to store versions of the Content over time & changes
- The XSL will change less and XSD even lesser over time
- Be able to Compare/ Diff the content through various versions and branches
- Be able to Merge some/ more/ or all of the "differences" between various versions & branches

FREQUENTLY USED SCENARIOS -
e.g. XML based Project Descriptions/ Outlines & White Paper Writeups
- XML content write up changes made on daily & more frequent basis
- XML Content write up for White Papers - Rearticulated and organized regularly

At the moment I can think of manually copying and renaming each version of the XML everytime, but its kind of cumbersome.

I've used various versions of these XML tools over the years and have access to relatively recent versions.
- Altova XML Spy & Mission Kit, Diff Dog
- Sonic Stylus Studio
- OxygenXML
- EditPlus

I've also used some Source Code/ Revision Control in the past but its too far ago.

Recently, I just downloaded and am playing with Git to learn more about it and wondering if it will work well for this.

QUESTIONS:
- What do you use and how?
- What do you suggest using in my SPECIFIC SCENARIOs? and how?

Thanks in advance.

- AS
..