Re: [xsl] priority of key patterns

Subject: Re: [xsl] priority of key patterns
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:24:22 +0000

> Regarding other use cases for keys in patterns - I tend to do my
> renames like this
>
> <xsl:key name="mapNames" match="ren:*/@to" use="../@from"/>
>   <xsl:variable name="renames">
>     <ren:element from="EmployeeCategory" to="Name"/>
>     <ren:element from="PersonName" to="Name"/>
>     <ren:element from="FormerlyKnown" to="Name"/>

I would just do:

<xsl:template match="EmployeeCategory | PersonName | FormerlyKnown">
  <Name>

Also top tip regarding this:

>>>        <xsl:apply-templates select="node()|@*"/>

What the union operator | does is de-dupe and sort the nodes into
document order, so by doing "node() | @*" you are giving the processor
more work than "@* | node()" because all the attributes nodes have to
be moved in the sort before the node()s.

If you are using xslt 2.0, then you should use "@*, node()"  (comma
instead of pipe) which returns the nodes exactly the way you specify,
without the de-dupe or sort.

As an example, try

"node() | @*"

vs