Re: [xsl] Example of partial function application of a context-dependent built-in function?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Example of partial function application of a context-dependent built-in function?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 07:06:24 -0700

One example in F & O 3.0 (section 1.6.4) is:

     fn:starts-with(?, ?, "http://example.com/collation")

Don't ask me why this function is context-dependent ...

But, a context-dependent function cannot be passed around, because
"passing around" means changing the context -- so passing a context
dependent function around would lead to it producing different results
in different placces where it is applied.

Fortunately, all "main" context - dependent functions have 0
arguments, so it isn't possible to partially apply them.

The context-dependent functions that have arguments (like a
collation-dependent function) are exotic (not used often), so they are
kind of special cases, or exceptions of the general rules.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> The XPath 3.0 specification says this:
>     It is a static error if a static function
>     call is a partial function application
>     and the identified function is a
>     context-dependent built-in function.
> Would you provide an example of this please?
> /Roger

Dimitre Novatchev
Never fight an inanimate object
biggest mistake of all