Re: [xsl] Replace content of element, then transform it...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Replace content of element, then transform it...
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:36:41 +0100

One of the main reasons that we've been telling people for 12 years not to use disable-output-escaping is that it couples the transformation too closely to the serialization, meaning it's difficult and inefficient to reuse your code as part of a pipeline. A lot depends on what this d-o-e stuff is really doing. Having said that, from the information supplied I don't know why you are getting the error you are.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

             <xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
     </xsl:template>

     <xsl:template match="leadtext">
         <leadtext>
             <xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
         </leadtext>
     </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="node()|@*"> <xsl:copy> <xsl:apply-templates select="node()|@*"/> </xsl:copy> </xsl:template>

Which does what is intended. Just that I want to not output it, but start w= orking on it in a phase-two process.
So I tried this

<xsl:template match="body">
             <xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
     </xsl:template>

     <xsl:template match="leadtext">
         <leadtext>
             <xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
         </leadtext>
     </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="node()|@*"> <xsl:variable name="foo"> <xsl:copy> <xsl:apply-templates select="node()|@*"/> </xsl:copy> </xsl:variable> <xsl:apply-templates select="$foo" mode="phase2" /> </xsl:template> <!-- Error message: Description: Cannot create an attribute node (id) whose parent is a documen= t node -->

After reading about how this works, I now understand why I am getting the e= rror. Is there another alternative to make this possible in one document, o= r do I have to send the output to a new document?

Best regards,

Trond Husx
System Developer
Mobile : +47 450 35 715