[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date]

Re: [xsl] 16-bit chars rendered as "?" in UTF-8?

Subject: Re: [xsl] 16-bit chars rendered as "?" in UTF-8?
From: John English <john.foreign@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:03:28 +0300

On 14/08/2012 14:35, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
If changing the file's encoding specification fixed the problem you
must have some byte sequences representing codepoints in
UTF-8, possibly besides others represented as entities.

No, it's pure 8-bit ASCII (well, 7-bit even); it's also the same document being presented via two different paths. In one case it was OK, in the other not. I'm completely baffled.

I have added "response.setEncoding("UTF-8")" to all my servlets
and the problem has gone away; I've also added a debug message
to my XSLT filter to display the encoding. (Oddly enough, my
error handling servlet still says ISO-8859-1 despite setting
the encoding.)

I hate it when something fixes a problem and I don't understand
what the original problem was or why the fix worked!
John English

Current Thread