Re: [xsl] XSLT extension for reading file properties?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT extension for reading file properties?
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:42:21 -0400

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 06:25 +0100, DaveP wrote:
> On 07/18/2012 02:45 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 00:05 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
> >
> >> A library that gives image height/width would be useful but isn't part
> >> of this module.
> >
> > I proposed one once, but we didn't have a good forum for user-supplied
> > modules or functions at the time I think. XSL-FO needed it.
>
> It's needed for both Liam.
> Using XML for print and web and smartphone output, we need to resize
> or scale graphics puts this squarely into XSLT country.

Definitely. For www.fromoldbooks.org I use an external program
"remaneimagesbysize" that makes file with name like
"flint-castle-306x500.jpg" containing the width and height in pixels,
and then I can use string processing in XSLT and XQuery. That and
scanning a list of files in a directory to see which are images,
extracting EXIF metadata, and getting modified dates.

I should resurrect the proposal.

Co-author, 5th edition of Beginning XML, published by Wrox, July 2012