Re: [xsl] [FO] image on even, table on odd, repeating image if the table is more than one page

Subject: Re: [xsl] [FO] image on even, table on odd, repeating image if the table is more than one page
From: Philip Vallone <philip.vallone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:38:38 -0400

This looks like a MIL-STD-40051 requirement for a RPSTL work package. The way
I did this was  count the graphics. If the graphic count = 0, then page break
and do not break if graphic-count mod 2 = 0. This works except if the image
and the parts list could fit on a single page. I have the XML author either
add a process instruction to apply no page breaks or use an attribute value to
trigger the page breaks not to break.

Sent from Phil's iPhone

On Jul 11, 2012, at 8:01 AM, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> At 2012-07-11 13:32 +0200, Geert Bormans wrote:
>> I have a part list table that I need to show on the odd page of a PDF
>> I have an image that goes with the part list, that I have to show on the
even page.
>> In case the table breaks over multiple pages, I need to keep the table on
the odd pages only
>> and I need to repeat the image on each opposite even page.
>> Does anyone have an idea on how to do this?
> I think this can be done with markers, but I haven't got the time this
morning to write up a working mock-up:
> (1) - create a page sequence master that alternates the odd page having
>       a body region for content with the even page having a body region
>       without content ... this will flow the table on only the odd pages
> (2) - in a perimeter region for the even page, create an absolute block
>       container the same size as odd-page-body-region, and in that
>       retrieve, in order, one marker for each diagram that might be
>       needed by the table
> (3) - define all diagram markers as empty
> (4) - when flowing the table, put the image associated with content into
>       that diagram's marker, clearing out the marker when the diagram is
>       no longer relevant
>> I would prefer something that works with FOP
>> If this can't be done with FOP, please suggest an alternative
> Your requirement is quite particular ... off the top I cannot think of an
alternative.  And I haven't tested the above, but I would write my test
following those steps.
> Sadly, having written out the algorithm I worry this won't work because the
markers are defined in the flow *after* the page on which you want the images
... I now think the above steps will put the images on the even page *after*
the odd page, which is not what you need.
> You may be out of luck.  There is no "look ahead" in XSL-FO ... I can't see
a way of knowing what to put on page "n" based on content on page "n+1".
> No problem with the odd-page-only table flowing ... I just think you can't
get the images to work.
> I hope this helps, even if it isn't a solution, in that I hope it helps to
know that there may not be a pure XSL-FO solution.  With post-processing you
might be able to swap pages in some way ... but I think that would be