Re: [xsl] Recursion

Subject: Re: [xsl] Recursion
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 12:17:17 +0100

You will find some examples of how to look for cycles in a graph in my book XSLT 2.0 Programmers Reference, pp251-253 and 353-353 in the 4th edition.

(Don't use the examples in the third edition, where I got them badly wrong! - which just goes to show that this problem is quite a tricky one.)

The main differences are (a) I've generalized the solution by detecting cycles in ANY graph, using higher-order functions to parameterize the solution), and (b) the memory of where you've been in the graph is provided as a sequence, not a concatenated string.

For this particular problem you also need to worry about turning the schemaLocation values into absolute URIs relative to their containing document, and checking for cycles after absolutizing the URI.

Generally, though I would advise against trying to extract schema information from raw schema documents - you will get it wrong. It's much better to get the information from a schema processor that has already pre-digested the schema documents and turned them into a schema component model.

Michael Kay
Saxonica