Re: [xsl] Got some cool XSLT code that assembles parts together to create larger parts?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Got some cool XSLT code that assembles parts together to create larger parts?
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:40:05 +0000

Following relational tradition, it's perhaps more usual to model a hierarchy the other way around, with the child pointing to the parent rather than the parent to the children; but either way works perfectly well (and doing it this way makes it easier to maintain the order of children within their parent).

In general terms the solution is to use the usual xsl:apply-templates recursive descent model, but using the logical hierarchy rather than the XML parent-child relationship. So write a function getChildren() and then use apply-templates select="getChildren(.)". In this particular case I'm not quite sure what you do if a parent has more than one child, but the getChildren function might be simply a call on id(@idref).

Michael Kay
Saxonica