Re: [xsl] Safe Upgrade to XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Safe Upgrade to XSLT 2.0
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 23:43:38 +0000

On 30/11/2011 23:12, Hans-Juergen Rennau wrote:
Hello,
think of critical applications based on a large number of XSLT 1.0 stylesheets - how to migrate safely to a consistent use of XSLT 2.0? The list of subtle incompatibilities ( http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20 , Appendix J.1 ) is rather long, and I wonder if there are tools available for automated checking, assessment of risks and code modifications reducing those risks. (For example, replacing in certain places the current XPath expression by "(expression)[1]" is something that comes to mind.) And are there perhaps some recommendations or best practices how to accomplish the upgrade?
Thank you for any thoughts, comments or information.
Hans-Juergen Rennau

I think the critical success factor is having a good set of test material. With good test material, transition is likely to be painless - there might be one or two glitches, but you will find and fix them quickly. Without good test material, no amount of analysis or automated checking is going to eliminate the risks.

Michael Kay
Saxonica