[xsl] max string-length for context grandchildren

Subject: [xsl] max string-length for context grandchildren
From: Eric Harbeson <kiteeatingtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 20:08:16 -0600

Dear all,

I am trying to determine the length of the longest string of a given element,
which is the grand-child of the context node.  I've looked all over the
archives and haven't found anything that I can get to work (possibly an
indictment of my searching skills).  So I'm hoping a kind soul will take pity
and help me.

Details first: I'm using XSLT 2.0, though a 1.0 solution would be fine too.
I've tried processing using Saxon [PE | HE | EE] 9.3.0.5, as contained in
oXygen 12.2.

I have the following XML:

<record>
    <list type="deflist">
        <head>This is a test list</head>
        <defitem>
            <label>Processed by</label>
        <defitem>
            <label>Date Completed</label>
        <defitem>
            <label>Encoded by</label>
            <item>William Landis</item>
        </defitem>
    </list>
</record>

I'm trying to determine which of the three <label> elements is the longest, so
my desired output is: 14, which is the string length of list/defitem/label[2].
The calculation needs to be made while <list> is the context node.  I've tried
two different approaches:

1) It seems to me that it should be possible to do something like this:

    <xsl:template match="list">
        <template match="list">
            <xsl:variable name="longest-label"
select="max(string-length(deflist/label))"/>
            <xsl:value-of select="$longest-label"/>
        </template>
    </xsl:template>

...but this returns the number zero.

2) The closest thing I've found to an answer is the dual parameter solution
recommended by Michael Kay and as implemented by Phil Lanch on the dpawson FAQ
site (http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N8090.html#d10874e649 (#16: How to
find the longest node in a node-set)).

My implementation of that (which follows) generates the following error, which
I can't explain: "Required item type of first operand of '<' is numeric;
supplied value has item type xs:string."

    <xsl:template match="list">
        <xsl:variable name="longest-label">
            <xsl:call-template name="getlongest">
                <xsl:with-param name="nodeset" select="defitem/label"/>
                <xsl:with-param name="longest"/>
            </xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:variable>
        <xsl:text>LongestLabel </xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="$longest-label"></xsl:value-of>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template name="getlongest">
        <xsl:param name="nodeset"/>
        <xsl:param name="longest" select="0"/>
        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="$nodeset">
                <xsl:choose>
                    <xsl:when test="string-length($nodeset[1]) > $longest">
                        <xsl:call-template name="getlongest">
                            <xsl:with-param name="nodeset"
select="$nodeset[position()  > 1]"/>
                            <xsl:with-param name="longest"
select="string-length($nodeset[1])"/>
                        </xsl:call-template>
                    </xsl:when>
                    <xsl:otherwise>
                        <xsl:call-template name="getlongest">
                            <xsl:with-param name="nodeset"
select="$nodeset[position()  > 1]"/>
                            <xsl:with-param name="longest"
select="$longest"/>
                        </xsl:call-template>
                    </xsl:otherwise>
                </xsl:choose>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <xsl:value-of select="$longest"/>
            </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:template>

I can't actually find the "<" that is at issue here.  When debugging, I noted
that the value of $nodeset is never a number, but some thing like

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

With thanks in advance,
Eric Harbeson