Re: [xsl] Attribute "separator" of xsl:value-of in XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Attribute "separator" of xsl:value-of in XSLT 2.0
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 13:07:00 +0200

Christian Rinderknecht wrote:

Let us say that I have a subtree like

<author>
<first>Priscilla</first>
<last>Walmsley</last>
</author>

Using Saxon HE 9-3-0-4j and assuming the current node is the parent of
author, the result of

<xsl:value-of select="author" separator=" "/>

or

<xsl:value-of select="author" separator="' '"/>

is the same as

<xsl:value-of select="author"/>

that is, 'PriscillaWalmsley'.

There is white space before the "first" element, between the "first" and the "last" element and after the "last" element, I would expect that to be output as well with <xsl:value-of select="author"/>.

PS In case this is not a totally stupid question, here is my complete
example.

The DTD in the complete sample makes the difference it seems, that way the author element has not white space text nodes but solely two child elements first and last.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/