[xsl] Foreign namespaces in XSLT atttributes

Subject: [xsl] Foreign namespaces in XSLT atttributes
From: David <dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:22:38 -0400

I'm would like to find out if adding my own namespace'd attributes to xslt is valid.
It appears to work (in that I am not getting errors) but I cant find any reference that says its allowed.

Example:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:xmlsh="http://www.xmlsh.org/test">
<xsl:template xmlsh:type="element" match="element()">
</xsl:template>

The attribute "xmlsh:type" seems to be properly ignored using saxon (good).
Is this a defined behaviour or does it "just happen to work"?

Context: I'm experimenting with using XSLT as a "database" of xslt elements and do processing on the XSLT to extract specific elements.
Using my own attributes seems a clean way to do that.

--
David A. Lee
dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx

--