[xsl] Problem with Key matching XSLT 1.0

Subject: [xsl] Problem with Key matching XSLT 1.0
From: "Etheridge, Stephen" <stephen.etheridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:17:34 +0100

Dear List

I am trying to compare two xml documents of the same format.  I have
successfully transformed the documents to include a field called ItemKey
which includes a unique key (comprised of four other elements).  I am
now trying to match and compare elements based on that key value.

My XSLT includes the following as "global" variables:

<xsl:variable name="file1">test_comp4.xml</xsl:variable>
<xsl:variable name="old_file"
select="document($file1)/*"></xsl:variable>
<xsl:variable name="file2">test_comp4_edited.xml</xsl:variable>
<xsl:variable name="new_file"
select="document($file2)/*"></xsl:variable>
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:key name="test" match="//ItemKey" use="//ItemKey"/>

The matching template looks like this:

<xsl:template mode="keys" match="*">
		##############################
		There is an item to be processed here
		<xsl:variable name="old_doc_node"
select="."></xsl:variable>
		<xsl:variable name="keytest"
select="$old_doc_node/ItemKey"></xsl:variable>
		Key test is:  <xsl:value-of select="$keytest"/>
		<!--<xsl:variable name="new_doc_node"
select="$new_file//ItemKey"></xsl:variable>-->
		<xsl:for-each select="$new_file">
			<xsl:variable name="new_doc_node"
select="key('test', $keytest)"></xsl:variable>
			Test Key: 		<xsl:value-of
select="$keytest"/>
			Match:			<xsl:value-of
select="$new_doc_node"/>
			###############################
		</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

An excerpt of the output is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
		##############################
		There is an item to be processed here

		Key test is:  111222
			Test Key: 		111222
			Match:			111222
			###############################

		##############################
		There is an item to be processed here

		Key test is:  111333
			Test Key: 		111333
			Match:			111222
			###############################

What seems to be happening is that the ItemKey is correctly picked up
from the first file, a "match" is made with the second file, but the
printed value of the ItemKey from the second file never changes - so I
am lead to believe that no actual match is occurring (although from my
test data I know that there is a one to one match).

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

Stephen

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  /
Pour contribuer comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas
imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie
so Logica dabei, die Umwelt zu sch|tzen. /  Por favor ajude a Logica a
respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.