Re: [xsl] ePub XSLT out there?

Subject: Re: [xsl] ePub XSLT out there?
From: Lech Rzedzicki <xchaotic@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:33:39 +0100

1. Content
I guess it'd be pretty hard to write anyXML to epub, so just like
others have pointed out you should think of what XML schema are you
coming from.
ePub spec allows two main formats for storing the text markup: XHTML
and Daisy (hardly anyone uses that anyway but it's very similar to
HTML anyway), so for actual content conversion you should think about
converting from your XML to XHTML and this is a subject that has been
covered many times before.
2. Metadata
The only two other parts of epub container where XSL initially seems
like it might been handy is NCX and OPF (table of content and
manifest/metadata file).
The problem is you need to be able to access files, MIMETYPEs, check
if the files are less than 300KB (to conform with Sony's hardware
limitations not epub spec) etc and finally zip the whole thing up. in
general low level routines are much easier done in other languages
such as Ruby or Perl and a lot of what I just described is simply
impossible to do in pure XSL.