Re: [xsl] generic grouping without nesting for-each-group?

Subject: Re: [xsl] generic grouping without nesting for-each-group?
From: James Cummings <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:14:30 +0100

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 14:45, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I wouldn't suggest nesting for-each-group 3 levels deep - I would
> suggest doing it recursively so it can go any number of levels deep, along
> the lines of

Yes, really for anything over a couple levels that makes more sense...
you are right.

> http://www.saxonica.com/papers/ideadb-1.1/mhk-paper.xml

Thanks for this, I'd not read it and it will now make some bedtime reading :-)

> That leaves the problem of the bad nesting of level numbers. But I don't
> think that's actually a problem. If you look at my solution in that paper
> (the recursive template called process-level) I think that when you skip a
> level, it will simply put everything in one group, and carry on to process
> the next level.

Another solution we thought of is to add in dummy head levels in an
additional first-pass.  So the first pass would add in any extra
<head> elements based on the difference between it and the previous
head.  So
<head level="1>
<head level="5">

would get <head> of levels 2-4 added immediately before it.  Then the
grouping itself becomes really quite simple.

Many thanks,

-James