[xsl] question on paths

Subject: [xsl] question on paths
From: Monosij Dutta-Roy <monosij.forums@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 18:11:04 -0400

Hello to all -

I am new to XSLT but not to data / programming. So I hope the
following makes sense:
Using XSLT 2.0, SaxonHE 9.2, JDK 1.6
I am trying to write a function that will test certain paths are valid
and keep them as variables before I use those paths to get child
nodes.
------------------------------

So I am using the function below and get an error on the line:
            <xsl: select="/n1:recordDocument/n1:recordTarget/n1:patientRole"/>
However if I use:
            <xsl: variable name="patientRole"
select="/n1:recordDocument/n1:recordTarget/n1:patientRole"/>
It is valid but do not return the path.

Of course this is valid as well:
            <xsl:value-of
select="/n1:recordDocument/n1:recordTarget/n1:patientRole"/>
But not what I need...
Your suggestions is very much appreciated.
Maybe what I am trying to do is just not the way to do in XSLT?
The function is below.
<xsl:function name="fnc:getRolePath">
    <xsl:param name="Version"/>
    <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="$Version = '3.0'">
            <xsl:
select="/n1:recordDocument/n1:recordTarget/n1:patientRole"/> ***
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>UNDEFINED</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
</xsl:function>
Also I am running it from Ant 1.7 using Saxon Ant jar. is there any
way to make errors more descriptive?
Or is it a matter of the library - in this case Saxon?
Also any recommendations on Saxon vs Xalan in terms of running from
Ant or Maven? Btw can mavan be used pretty easily?
I have a couple of online books I am referencing, Doug Tidwell and Sal
Mangano and of course web but cannot find any suitable answer to all
the above.

Thank you