Re: [xsl] In the field of programming, where does xsl:apply-templates reside?

Subject: Re: [xsl] In the field of programming, where does xsl:apply-templates reside?
From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 20:36:58 +0530

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For example, if you were to map an XSLT program to, say, a Java program, what Java construct would you map xsl:apply-templates to?

I agree with David, that "template is a function and apply templates
is function application". By 'function application', I think, David
means a "function call" ...

> Perhaps asking how an XSLT construct maps to a Java construct is wrong, since XSLT is a > rule-based language and Java is not. Do you agree?

The 'programming abstractions' (which is something like a "rule based"
programming system) that XSLT provides to a 'XSLT programmer', are
different in nature, than 'programming abstractions' (which is an
object oriented, imperative programming system) provided by Java, to a
'Java programmer'.

Mukul Gandhi