[xsl] text() function in XPath 2

Subject: [xsl] text() function in XPath 2
From: Sara Mitchell <samitchell6@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:06:34 -0700 (PDT)

My apologies for what is potentially a question on a well-understood change between XPath 1.0 and 2.0. I'm still, for the most part, stuck in 1.0 but occasionally end up in 2.0 and find myself getting confused.

In XPath 1.0, there was a function text() that returned text children for the context node of a given path. This does not appear anywhere in the XPath 2.0 spec (except interestingly enough in the criteria defining another function).

Is this no longer a valid function? replaced by some other syntax? or is this an oversight within the spec itself?