Re: [xsl] Math "functions" for XSLT 1.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Math "functions" for XSLT 1.0
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 00:35:14 -0500

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 19:49 +0100, COUTHURES Alain wrote:
[...]
> By the way, almost 30 years ago, I already knew that calculators never
> use Taylor series

They generally didn't have hardware floating-point division. It's
nothing to do with numbers of iterations.  Or, as Wikipedia puts it,

"CORDIC is particularly well-suited for handheld calculators, an
application for which cost (eg, chip gate count has to be minimised) is
much more important than is speed."

> If only Microsoft had already implemented XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.x, SVG,
> XForms,... more efforts would have been saved...

Microsoft isn't the only software company in the world.

Or maybe you're referring to Internet Explorer?
There's an open source XQuery plugin for IE, although I'm not sure
how polished it is (search for xqib).  That's XQuery rather than
XSLT, but may stil be of use.  Or you could write XSLT that
generated JavaScript and executes it...?

Liam