RE: [xsl] Grouping adjacent columns in a table

Subject: RE: [xsl] Grouping adjacent columns in a table
From: Emmanuel Begue <eb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:48:04 +0100

Using deep-equal (and a key to avoid using //), it's possible to
proceed in one pass:

<xsl:key name="cols" match="td" use="count(preceding-sibling::*)"/>

<xsl:template match="th|td">
  <xsl:variable name="pos" select="count(preceding-sibling::*)"/>
  <xsl:if test="not(deep-equal(key('cols',$pos),key('cols',$pos - 1)))">
    <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
    </xsl:if>
  </xsl:template>

Is it undesirable because it (probably) makes the comparison
again for each row (ie, for each column of each row), so if
there are many rows it may be slow...?

But if there are not many rows, why not? (I feel I'm missing
something but I don't know what ;-)

(Also, this only works if identical columns are adjacent).

Regards,
EB