Re: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

Subject: Re: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:52:15 -0700

Many XSLT processors can compile a (at least a main/primary)
stylesheet to executable code. AFAIK Saxon can compile to Java
byte-code or Java source code and .NET XslCompiledTransform compiles
to .NET IL code. Many years ago Sun provided such "XSLT compilation.

In this way a single application written in XSLT can be offered in
executable code and this is usually a significant part of the
technical protection of any software application.

What is still missing is the ability to compile a set/library of
stylesheets that can be used by a primary stylesheet at runtime.
Though there is not any provision in the W3 Spec how to do this for
XSLT (I think things are better for XQuery), a de-facto
standard/implementation would be extremely useful. Not only some
existing libraries such as FXSL, FunctX, ()one put here any EXSLT
*implementation*, although EXSLT is just a specification, and by
default the implementations are not in XSLT themselves) etc., would
benefit from easier deployment (say in browsers), but this will
stimulate authors to write more such libraries -- to the benefit of
the whole XSLT developers community.

I would welcome if EXSLT2 specifies a mechanism for run-time binding
between a main stylesheets and one or more compiled libraries of
functions/templates.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev