Re: [xsl] Complex conditional-page-master-reference force last with first

Subject: Re: [xsl] Complex conditional-page-master-reference force last with first
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:18:10 -0500

At 2009-02-20 19:52 -0700, Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
Yes, the last page
template is necessary but so is the first page.  The templates have
been designed in such a way that the first page has valuable header
information and the last page has valuable footer information.  The
first and last template are only valid when one and the other exist.
So in the condition that the content exceeds the only page dimensions,
then a first page template should be applied, plus an additional blank
last page.

Ouch.

I don't think I can help you ... perhaps someone else can.

As I understand page generation, the only two conditions for the formatter to "go and get the next page geometry" is when there is content to be flowed or when there is a forced blank page triggered by the current or following page sequence.

The lack of a feedback loop requires you to do this declaratively, and I can't think of a set of declared formatting conditions that will satisfy your requirement.

Getting away from static content, have you considered a strategy of flowing your footer information, with a keep holding it together on one page, in a footnote body that drops to the bottom of the last page? At the very end of your flow add a block with only a footnote with the footnote body keeping all of the lines of your footer together. Depending on the geometry of your body region, if the footnote doesn't fit at the bottom of the page with 21-30 lines, the formatter would move it to the next page, still dropping it at the bottom of the page. If the footer fits in the body-region geometry when there are 20 or fewer lines, it would drop to the bottom of the first page.

But I have no idea if the nature of your information would allow you to do this.

Sorry I can't help otherwise.

--
Upcoming hands-on  XQuery, XSLT, UBL & code list training classes:
Brussels, BE 2009-03;  Prague, CZ 2009-03, http://www.xmlprague.cz