Re: [xsl] Integrated sort using different elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Integrated sort using different elements
From: Quinn Dombrowski <qdombrow@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:16:03 -0600

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the tip. A bit earlier, I tried the

<xsl:sort select="
( monogr/author, analytic/author, monogr/editor, monogr/title )[1]"/>

and it produced some kind of weird results. First it listed the ones with analytic/author but no monogr/author. Then the ones with a monogr/title, and no author anywhere. Then it alphabetized all the ones with monogr/author. (In my smaller test set, there didn't happen to be any editors.)

I'm not sure what's happening there, but when I did:
<xsl:sort select="concat(monogr[1]/author[1], analytic[1]/author[1], monogr[1]/editor[1], monogr[1]/title[1])"/>
([1]'s because there's sometimes multiple editions with multiple authors)

it sorted everything the way I needed it. I'm not sure if the data happens to be such that the concat() problem you mentioned doesn't come up, but one way or another it works.

Thanks everyone for your help! This has really been a life saver.

~Quinn