Re: [xsl] 16-bit entities converted to "?" by XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] 16-bit entities converted to "?" by XSLT
From: John English <je@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 15:09:12 +0000

Martin Honnen wrote:

John English wrote:

My browser shows this correctly, but when I embed it in some XML and
run it though my stylesheet, the output is this:

     ????

I've tried <xsl:output encoding="UTF-16"> and various other things, but
nothing seems to work. Is there an easy way to fix this so I can just
display 16-bit characters?

How do you run the transformation exactly? How do you serve the transformation result to the browser, from a local file or from a HTTP server? If the document is loaded from a HTTP server have you checked the HTTP Content-Type header whether it might have a charset parameter that does not match the encoding of the document?

The transform is a output filter for a servlet. The servlet generates XML which gets transformed into HTML and squirted from the server back to the browser. The Content-Type is "text/html; charset=UTF-8". I've also tried <xsl:output encoding="UTF-16">, as I mentioned, in which case it comes out as "text/html; charset=UTF-16", but this makes no difference as far as the way the characrer references get converted into question marks.

 John English              | mailto:je@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 School of Computing & MIS | "Those who don't know their history
 University of Brighton    |  are condemned to relive it" (Santayana)