[xsl] XSLT 2.1

Subject: [xsl] XSLT 2.1
From: "Jesper Tverskov" <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:02:56 +0100

In another thread word is out that some work on XSLT 2.1 is going on.
I don't find anything about it at W3C perhaps I should look better.

How official is it that an XSLT 2.1 is in the making? Is it possible
to propose new features, etc.?

We know so far that something like <xsl:mode default-action="copy"/>
is being looked at making things like (I have changed "copy" to
"identity template" to make things more clear) possible:

<xsl:mode default-action="identity template"/>
<xsl:template match="foo"/>

I can't resist the temptation to propose something similar making use
of my "true" identity template for XSLT 2.0,
http://www.xmlplease.com/identity-template.xsl, explained in this
tutorial: http://www.xmlplease.com/identity-template.

The "true identity template" (an xslt stylesheet of several templates)
is 500 lines long! Nice if we could use it like this:

<xsl:mode default-action="true identity template"/>

Nice if we could use a modified "true" identity transformation on let
us say XHTML documents (important use case) without having to bother
about how to get original XML declarations and DOCTYPES recreated, how
to get rid of default attributes having been copied out from the DTDs,
etc.

Cheers,
Jesper Tverskov
http://www.xmlplease.com