RE: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:47:58 -0000

I don't think that every feature that appears in XQuery has to be in XSLT
and vice versa: just because you can do something with your hammer doesn't
mean you have to be able to do it with your screwdriver as well. XQuery
badly needed in-situ update because it does not have the ability to make
small changes to a document using the "modified identity template" coding
pattern.

The idea of in-situ updates leads to a lot of architectural complexity,
especially in a non-database environment. I think XSLT is likely to stick to
the basic model of transforming an input document to create an output
document.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/