Re: [xsl] running a 'pipeline' as a loop?

Subject: Re: [xsl] running a 'pipeline' as a loop?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:27:15 -0400

Tom,

Like any "loop" in XSLT, this can be done using a recursive template that calls itself with parameters. In this case, the first pass accepts the set of updates as a parameter, along with the source, processes the source with the first update, and then calls itself with its result sent in to be the source, and the update just used removed from the update set. This continues until the update set is empty, at which point you have your final result.

Unfortunately, my time at the moment is short so I can't sketch this out in detail. If this hint isn't enough, maybe another intrepid XSLTer could help you work it out. :-)

Note that this can be processor and memory-intensive, but depending on the processor used there may also be ways around these issues.

BTW, this technique will work only in XSLT 2.0 or extended 1.0 (but you seem to be using 2.0), since unextended XSLT 1.0 can't process its own results.

Cheers,
Wendell