RE: [xsl] for-each for reading 2 documents

Subject: RE: [xsl] for-each for reading 2 documents
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:52:08 +0100

> Is it possible to use <xsl:for-each ..> to read 2 documents.
> Something like <xsl:for-each select="//abc/*|$file2//abc/*">.
> I tried this but it doesn't seem to work.

You're asking a lot of questions, so you're running the risk that people
will assume your earlier questions have been overtaken by the later ones. It
may be better to take a little more care formulating your questions to get
the information you really need.

This kind of question is very difficult to answer. There's basically nothing
wrong with the code you've shown us. But you've only shown us a tiny
fragment, so there are any number of things you might have done wrong. And
saying "it doesn't seem to work" is really unhelpful. What happened exactly?

The trick in asking questions that get a good answer on this (or any other)
forum is to be concise but complete. Cut your example down to the minimum
but then present it in full, so that anyone could run it if they chose. And
don't say "it didn't work", say exactly what you did and exactly what
happened (error messages, blank output, etc), in enough detail so that
people can try it out on their own system and see if they get the same
result.

Oh, and do try to avoid changing the question as soon as you get an answer.
It makes people feel that it's not worth bothering.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/