[xsl] Re: XProc or not XProc?

Subject: [xsl] Re: XProc or not XProc?
From: "Vladimir Nesterovsky" <vladimir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:41:08 +0300

I'm sorry if this post opens a new thread, as I'm answering to my original post, which probably have no reference id assigned by a server.

To clarify my position, I shall ask another question:

Why xslt is not a ground for XProc?

In my opinion it is a natural sequence of events:
 a demand of pipelining, error handling, and so on, is appearing;
 to answer the the demand people design extensions to xslt (functions and
instructions);
 these extensions are discussed and standardized;
 XProc is appearing as something based on xslt.

Is XProc so really required?

Why should XProc be designed rather than extending (providing new api for)
xslt/xquery to perform pipeline processing?

Are xslt/xquery less declarative than XProc?

I wouldn't probably asked such questions if XProc were already well
established with implementations available.

-- Vladimir Nesterovsky