Re: [xsl] Re: Identity transformation for XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Identity transformation for XSLT 2.0
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:50:43 +0000

    >> Perhaps. I feel rather strongly about standards conformance.

    bryan> There are lots of standards. Nobody conforms to every
    bryan> standard. There are sets of standards that can be naturally
    bryan> thought of as being related to each other. I am not sure
    bryan> that the data uri scheme could be considered as a standard
    bryan> that naturally works with the core XML standards, it is
    bryan> more naturally related to browsers and the standards
    bryan> pertinent to browsers.

That may be.
But my disgust is at seeing an extension function written when there
is an existing standard in place that covers the functionality.

To illustrate,

saxon:parse ($string-value)

provides the same functionality as

doc (concat ("data:application/xml", ';base64,', base64Binary($string-value)))

or

doc (concat ("data:application/xml,", encode-for-iri($string-value)))

Now I've written it down, perhaps I can see the explanation for
saxon:parse after all - base64Binary and encode-for-iri weren't
available prior to XSLT 2.0.
But either of these would have been a more generally useful extension
function than parse.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire