Re: [xsl] ANN: 'Testing XSLT' training course PDF available

Subject: Re: [xsl] ANN: 'Testing XSLT' training course PDF available
From: Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:05:26 +1100

On 14/12/2007, at 11:31 PM, Andrew Welch wrote:

On 14/12/2007, Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
FYI, the PDF of my XML 2007 training course, 'Testing XSLT', is
available at:

http://www.menteithconsulting.com/wiki/XML2007/TestingXSLT

You mention black box testing under the unit test heading... which
doesn't quite fit.

Personally I don't think you can unit test XSLT*, it's only really
worthwhile to test the output for a given set of inputs.

You can certainly unit test functions, as Mike Kay points out, but you can also unit test named templates; at least those that are essentially the equivalent of functions. Unit testing of these types of named templates is possible with either XSLT 1.0 or 2.0. An example of this is in the XSLT Standard Library, http://xsltsl.sf.net, see the 'test' subdirectory.

Regards,
Steve Ball