Re: [xsl] xsl:for-each-group output control

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:for-each-group output control
From: Andreas Peter <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:33:18 +0100

Quoting "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

At 2007-11-23 23:06 +0100, Andreas Peter wrote:
Quoting "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
At 2007-11-23 22:11 +0100, Andreas Peter wrote:
Unfortunaltely I still have a problem with xsl:for-each-group and my
xml example.
For a better understanding the test-xml-file:

<root>
  <element>
      <h1>h1</h1>
      <h2>h2_1</h2>
      <para>para_1</para>
      <para>para_3</para>
      <para>para_4</para>
      <para>para_5</para>
      <h2>h2_2</h2>
      <para>para_6</para>
      <h3>h3_1</h3>
      <para>para_7</para>
      <h5>h5_1</h5>
      <para>para_8</para>
      <para>para_10</para>
      <h4>h4_1</h4>
      <para>para_11</para>
      <para>para_12</para>
      <h2>h2_3</h2>
      <para>para_13</para>
      <para>para_14</para>
      <para>para_15</para>
      <h3>h3_2</h3>
      <para>para_17</para>
      <para>para_18</para>
      <h4>h4_2</h4>
      <para>para_19</para>
      <para>para_20</para>
      <h5>h5_2</h5>
      <para>para_21</para>
      <para>para_23</para>
  </element>
</root>

I numbered the text nodes for a better visualization.

Yes, but could you please post a *complete* example of the output desired from the above? ...
The desired output from the above input should look like this. I hope
this helps:

Sorry, Andreas ... that doesn't help ... it is too regular for the data you show above. Especially where I asked about the h4 being after the h5 and before the h2 ... that is quite irregular and not at all aligned with the sample output you gave. And your paragraphs in your text are not numbered the same as the example above, so there is no opportunity to do any correlation.

What is your desired output from the input you have above?

By the way, how can I get a good XSLT programmer? I am reading and
testing a lot, but it is so hard for me understanding this language.
Are there realy good books on the market?

There are a number of authors who are on this list. I confess I learned XSLT from the specification and not from a book. I hear people on the list speak highly of titles by Jeni Tennison and Michael Kay, and I have a lot of respect for their work. We have our own XSLT book for sale on our web site as a PDF file, though the currently-available edition is only for XSLT 1.0 ... purchasers of any edition of our books get all future editions of the same book for free, so the late-December/early-January publishing of our 13th edition covering XSLT 2.0 will be sent to all existing customers.

. . . . . . . . . . . Ken

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008

That doesnB4t matter. This is the structure I have. I know that this is
not regular but what can I do? ItB4s for university. So I think the
best way to solve this problem will be to structure the document
manually :-( Three weeks of reading and testing should be enough for
university :-)

Thanks for helping me. I think this will not be the last time I ask
the list :-)

Thanks,
Andreas